We have been looking at the life of Joseph in the book of Genesis. Here’s a guy from a really dysfunctional family who stayed faithful to God all the way from the pit to the palace. Turns out all the twists and troubles in Joseph’s life were actually helpful for everyone involved, This is a great message to encourage those whose life isn’t really going exactly how they planned. And also a great reminder to not take revenge on people when you get a chance. Come to Rockwell Church this Sunday to be encouraged to surrender to God and Live in Love. We meet at 10:15am Sundays at 93 Midway Drive in Virginia, MN. Kids and adult Sunday School at 9am. Bring someone new with you!
Rockwell Church Oct. 30, 2022 Pastor Chris Teien
“Surrender to God and Live in Love”
Quit pushing back against God’s ways, because he is working for your joy,
even when you don’t see it and donate your life to loving purposes. —Secrets to a Happy Life Series
#1 Surrender your COMFORT as you walk with God (Genesis 46:3-4)
#2 Surrender your EXPECTATIONS as you are directed by God (Genesis 48:10-20, Col 1:12)
#3 Surrender to God’s perfect PLAN (Genesis 50:15-18, Romans 8:28)
#4 Surrender your desire and ability to get REVENGE (Genesis 50:19-20, 2 Cor 4:17)
#5 Surrender your SELFISHNESS and live in love (Hebrews 12:2, 1 John 4:9-11,16)
There is no other life, like that of love. Nothing brings us so much happiness—as living for others, giving out our lives in sweet helpfulness, whatever the cost may be. The sweetest happiness which we can get in the world, comes from adding a little to the happiness of others. The secret of a beautiful life is living in unbroken fellowship with Christ, under the influence of His presence, and the inspiration of His love and grace.
—J. R. Miller
#6 Surrender your place in this WORLD, when your life has been well spent, expecting a happy life for all eternity. (Genesis 50:24-25, Exodus 13:19, Heb 11:21-22, Rev. 21:4)
QUESTIONS For Reflection and Discussion
1. Have you or has someone you love ever tried to correct God? Name a couple of those situations. How did they turn out?
2. When Jacob crossed his arms for the blessing of Joseph’s sons, Joseph was puzzled and perhaps exasperated. What unusual events in your life would fall into the same category?
3. Do you know anyone pushing back against God for the twists and turns of providence? How is that working for them? What advice might you give?
4. When was the last time you said, “Okay, God” in a time of adversity?
Is this something you might want to do more often?
5. Does it surprise you to think that Jesus endured the cross, “for the joy” that was set before him? What do you think that means?
6. In your life, what has been the relationship between love and happiness?
7. Beyond your own needs and your own family, in what ways are you loving and serving others? What transcendent cause/s have you seized?
8. Who has loved you well? Have you ever said thank you?
9. What does 1 Corinthians 13:11-12 say about the connection between
spiritual maturity and love?
10. How might confidence in heaven alter behaviors on earth?
11. What legacy of love might you send into the future, long after you’re dead?
12. Of the secrets to a happy life, which seem hardest to you? Easiest? Most unexpected
If you have the Secrets to a Happy Life Book read chapters
10 “SURRENDER” 11 “LOVE” 12 “YOUR HAPPY LIFE”
Find out more about the Secrets to a Happy Life book that you can read along with during this message series at https://rockwell.church/happy-life/