We have been looking at the life of Joseph and his troubled family in the book of Genesis. In this week’s episode, while Joseph’s family struggles with their guilt from the past, Joseph finally reveals his true identity. As Joseph stayed faithful to God during the most difficult times of his life, God was helping him grow into the man he would need to be to save the world from starvation and be reunited with his estranged family. Come to Rockwell Church this Sunday to be encouraged to be confident in your new identity in Christ and make a difference in the world. Bring someone new with you! We meet at 10:15am Sundays at 93 Midway Drive in Virginia, MN.
Rockwell Church Oct. 23, 2022 Pastor Chris Teien
Identity—Secrets to a Happy Life
Know the riches of your new identity in grace, because you are who God says you are no matter what anyone else says. Genesis 43-45
Four ways we can lack closure from the sins of the past and miss out on experiencing our true identity:
#1 If we are too BITTER to accept God’s sovereignty (Gen 43:14)
#2 If we are too AFRAID to enjoy God’s grace (Gen 43:23)
#3 If we are too CONFUSED to recognize God’s love (Gen 43:29-30)
#4 If we are too PROUD to acknowledge God’s righteousness (Gen 44:4)
Get wisdom; develop good judgment. Don’t forget my words or turn away from them. 6 Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you. 7 Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And
whatever else you do, develop good judgment. 8 If you prize wisdom, she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will honor you. Proverbs 4:5-8 (NLT)
Three areas to be confident in your new identity in Christ:
#1 Confident in the PERSON God had made you to be (Gen 45:1-4)
#2 Confident in your PLACE in life (Gen 45:5-6)
#3 Confident you are fulfilling your PURPOSE (Gen 45:7-8)
QUESTIONS For Reflection and Discussion
- Have you ever found money you didn’t know you had? What did you do with it?
- How would you describe your self-concept? Your self-esteem?
- How confident are you of the new identity God gave you when you met him through Christ?
- What harmful labels from your past do you carry?
- Is what God says about you really true? Are there voices in your head or your life speaking against God’s truth?
- According to 1 Corinthians 2:12, what “things” does God want you to know?
- What complicated things are you good at? Cooking, sports, mathematics —what have you done so often for so long that it’s second nature for you?
- Is God’s truth that familiar to you? Can you see how wisdom would promote your happiness?
- Have you or has someone you know gone through trials that made no sense until after the fact?
- In general, how well do you react to difficulty? What does this say about you?
- How did Joseph’s suffering contribute to God’s cosmic plan for the
- What problem does the Bible address in 1 Corinthians 3:1–2?
If you have the Secrets to a Happy Life Book
read chapters eight “IDENTITY” and nine “WISDOM”
Find out more about the Secrets to a Happy Life book that you can read along with during this message series at https://rockwell.church/happy-life/